Skip to content
Where to Buy
- Skis of appropriate length. Race skis aren’t necessary and twin tips seem to be the all-around Nelson young ripper ski of choice.
- Boots that fit properly. Young skiers are happier and ski longer with boots that fit well.
- Ski poles of correct length.
- Ski helmets are mandatory with a hard shell covering of the ears.
- Helmet with hard ear covering.
- Removable chin guard.
- Speed suit optional, but most racers wear one.
- Zip-off warm up pants or shorts (for use at races over suit).
- Shin protection.
- Pole guards for slalom racing.
- Slalom skis.
- Giant slalom skis.
- Powder skis!
- Basic ski-tuning gear.
- Mouth guard (like hockey players wear – for concussion prevention).
- Ski pass on lanyard (around neck so that racers can strip down into their suits and be wearing their pass).
Basic Ski Sizing
|Boys||Slalom (cm)||Giant Slalom (cm)|
|U12 (10, 11yrs)||135||155|
|U14 (12, 13yrs)||145||165|
|U16 (14, 15yrs)||155||175|
|Girls||Slalom (cm)||Giant Slalom (cm)|
|U12 (10, 11yrs)||130||150|
|U14 (12, 13yrs)||140||160|
|U16 (14, 15yrs)||150||170|